Everyday, I’m learning more useless, but entertaining facts about Melbourne. So, I thought I’d share them with you, in case you ever make it on “Who Wants to be a Millionare.” After all, you never know when they’ll come in handy!
This week’s five fun, but useless facts:
1. The bathroom is called a “toilet” and there are 2 buttons for flushing options. The left is a small flush, while the right is for… you know.
2. Their favorite insults consist of calling people by animal names — mole, cow, mongrel and dog are the ones I’m partial to and will be using when returning to the U.S.
3. Forget about stop signs; roundabouts are everywhere. The big red octagon we know so well in the States hardly exists.
4. Afternoon is shortened to “avo.” Example: “Let’s go this avo.” Don’t ask me where the “v” comes from; when you question them, they tell you not to think so much. “Avo” also stands for avocado.
5. Melbourne is known for being coffee snobs. Chains like Starbucks and Gloria Jeans just don’t cut it for locals. They would rather wait in line for 20 minutes at the corner no-name cafe. In fact, only 6 out of the 16 Starbucks in Melbourne remain. I’ve stayed true to the green straw, although they don’t sell iced coffees or pumpkin spice lattes (tear)!